I don’t know why, but our little dog always smells really bad. Even right after a bath, she still reeks! It’s not just wet dog smell, it’s like old people smell from the rest home. She is old, so I originally thought she is just getting “old smelling”, like old people smell (kind of rude to talk about it, I know). I just couldn’t stand it anymore. We can smell her before we see her. Not good for an indoor dog. Our whole house smelled like sour dog.
I was going to go on the hunt for some special (a.k.a. expensive) shampoo for super smelly dogs, but decided to research online some homemade recipes for dog shampoo first.
We tried using the following:
- Human dandruff shampoo.
- Human cheap shampoo like White Rain.
- Bar soap.
- Dog shampoo that cost $11.
- Baking soda and water.
- White vinegar rinse after shampooing.
- Dial antibacterial soap mixed with white vinegar.
The winner is: Dial antibacterial soap mixed with white vinegar!
- Mix equal parts Dial antibacterial soap and white vinegar in a small bottle with a lid.
- Shake it together until it is well mixed.
- Squirt down your wet dog’s back like you would any dog shampoo.
- Massage for several minutes into your dog’s coat. Be very careful not to get the soap into your dog’s eyes, it will burn!